TO: All Boy Scouts signed up for Manatee District Day Camp 2018, All Boy Scouts who want to become a Trained Den Chief, All Cub Scout Leaders who want to enhance their program with Den Chief involvement, All Boy Scout Leaders who want to help promote their troop at the Cub Scout level
FROM: Chuck Swanson III, (Manatee District Training Committee, Manatee District Committee, University of Scouting Arts Board of Regents, Manatee District Day Camp 2018 Scoutmaster, Troop 89 Committee Member)
Re: Den Chief Training
In conjunction with the Two Rivers District Spring Training weekend, we will be having Official BSA Den Chief Training on May 5th from 9 AM to Noon. This training is to fully introduce the Den Chief program to all scouting individuals in the two districts. The following is a brief list of responsibilities the Den Chief will have.
Responsibilities: The Cub Scout den chief’s responsibilities are to
- Know the purposes of Cub Scouting.
- Help Cub Scouts achieve the purposes of Cub Scouting.
- Serve as the activities assistant at den meetings.
- Set a good example through attitude and uniforming.
- Be a friend to the boys in the den.
- Help lead weekly den meetings.
- Help the den in its part of the monthly pack meeting.
- Know the importance of the monthly theme and pack meeting plans.
- Meet regularly with the den leader to review den and pack meeting plans. Meet as needed with adult members of the den, pack, and troop.
- Receive training from the den leader (and Cubmaster or assistant Cubmaster) and attend Den Chief Training.
- Encourage Cub Scouts to become Webelos Scouts when they are eligible.
- Help the denner and assistant denner to be leaders.
Not only is this program an excellent example of “Boy Led” scouting, it also lets the younger scouts get a glimpse of what they can achieve as they move up in the scouting program. We are always looking for ways to enhance the scouting program and this is an excellent way to achieve that.
If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a note at email@example.com.